Saturday, October 8, 2016

Flarf Poetry


I have recently learned about the Flarf Poetry Movement, which is a genre of poetry very similar to Found Poetry and some might consider it a sub-genre of Found Poetry. It is an avant-garde poetry movement from the early 21st century. The term "Flarf" was coined by poet, Gary Sullivan. Sullivan wrote some of the original Flarf poems in existence.

Flarf poetry relates heavily to the type of Found Poetry I want to utilize in my writing as it embraces the Internet for its content. It often heavily uses Google search results in order to create poetry. Flarf embraces the absurd and the occasional offensive. The verb form of "Flarf" means to showcase the inherent awfulness of some preexisting text. The Flarf movement also embraces community in a way as it relies on the interaction and revisal of other poets. This further shows the importance of appropriation within Flarf. 

Poets.org describes the adjective form of Flarf, "Flarfy" as meaning "wrong, awkward, stumbling, semi-coherent, fucked-up, un-P.C. To take unexpected turns; to be jarring. Doing what one is not supposed to do."

Flarf rejects the traditional standards of poetry through embracing a quality and tonality not typically considered appropriate in poetry. An approach to creating Flarf poetry is to bombard Google with peculiar search terms then sift through the results to create comical and occasionally disturbing poems. It began as an email list- another reason computer technology is heavily relevant to this movement. It fell silent in 2001 but soon after 9/11 occurred the movement picked up speed again. This shows the absurdity of this poetry as it may embrace talk of tragedy in the media for its content. 

I think that the type of Found Poetry I myself have been working in might be most similar to Flarf poetry. I utilize the internet and social media for my found text and my poems often have a cynical undertone that imply social critique of a type of "awfulness" in our digital culture as well as often having an identifiable sense of humor.

Sources I used:

No comments:

Post a Comment